Monday, January 6, 2014

one year home and dogs

One of the really jarring moments for me in China was when we went next door our hotel to the McDonalds.  A vendor was on the sidewalk selling dog skins. There were dozens of them.  I had to practically step over the head of a Saint Bernard.  If you know me in real life, you know how horrifying this was for me.  I have spent a good bit of time and resources supporting animal rescue.  I served on the board of a local rescue before the kids.  I can trap a feral cat, get it fixed, have it's ear tipped, and release it with minimal fuss. That assumes that I don't actually trap a raccoon or armadillo.  Both of which I have done.  They were unharmed.

Anyway, after my horror, I also had a little moment of guilt that my two fat fur girls live better than lots of orphans.  They always get immediate medical attention, even if the concern is minor.  They have a climate controlled area and always have plenty of food and water.  I have spent thousands of dollars on Izzy's hips and thyroid and skin.  I spend hundreds, if not thousands, every year on heart worm preventative, flea treatments, shots, pain killers, vitamins, supplements, thyroid medicines, and blood work.   I love these dogs.

When Sammy came home one year ago today, he was terrified of Izzy and Addy.  He was only slightly less scared of them than the cats, Lola and GemGem.  My how times have changed.



Yes, he was covering them up like babies.  Yes, they are slightly insulted, but they were good sports.  He and John Hinton both smelled like dogs when I put them to bed.  Too bad the girls didn't smell like freshly bathed little boys.

Happy Family Day!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design By: